Friday, June 29, 2007

June 29, 2007.

Franklin: A Middle English term from the feudal system indicating a free, land-owning gentleman.
Leif: from Norse, "Beloved, descendant."
Benjamin: from Hebrew, "son of my right hand."

Additionally, do you see what happens when you think about a name too much??

I give much thought to the happiness of my children, and what I should do in any number of situations, to do right by them; and then, I dare to dream that they would value the love of their father above all else, as a result! In Frankie's case, an honest oversight leads to a double-whammy of happiness, when he's older enough to understand it, and if that's his gig, baby!

I saw him this morning, his first year on earth having been completed! He woke up, stood up, saw me, smiled, and spoke with effort, if not ability! And then held up his arms to me, to claim his due!! I was the first thing I wanted him to see, on this particular day of the year, 2 years running.

He sprawled onto the bed, between me and his big sister, and we softly sung happy birthday to him while we tickled his nose, made funny faces, and other tomfoolery suitable of a birthday party. He loves to laugh. He laid on my arm in a way Abigail never did... but never wanted to, either. He sprawled on me; he was totally comfortable, and started to snooze back to sleep. He throws his arm up sometimes; and when he does, I am reminded of my own father, dozing in bed on a sunday morning.

Moving with confidence; mimicking behaviour and showing a taste for rythym!! I don't care about the age he is... its my SON!! If it takes him 20 years to play any instrument well, I'd be there every day to help him become that which he wants to be, or I'd leave him alone as alone would do, if that's his gig, baby.

How great a day could a man ask for? How much more can he give to his son, on his birthday, but that he wished their moments together would be remembered in eternity? How about a secret, deep, burning passion to communicate to "my son, I love you"; so deep that I will bury the meaning in his name, for him to discover and to KNOW it to be true, because his father always showed him.

And I, foolishly being surprised that having always showed him, as I always wanted to do, that he loves me for it, even at 1; and me, betting on him "getting it" about his name, is a pretty safe bet.

Pictures on the way.

No comments: