Monday, June 25, 2007

Just In Time

Here's an opportune moment, deserving of a goodly squeeze of the proverbial, 2-thumbed fist.

On the left-hand side at present is the following news article. It won't be visible there (perhaps) by the time you read this, but click that link and follow.

Understand me, now; I cannot begin to explain to any of you (who read this) what this story means to me, although not perhaps in the way that many of you are perhaps wondering with all this setup. I am not gay- but I am intimately aware of this issue, and how long it has been going on in the good ol' C-o-E. There was a time (12 years!) that I took the podium (May, 1995) before that same General Synod, and spoke with conviction against the same motion, one of many participants in a lengthy debate.

To simply say that I would do differently, now, knowing what I do, believing what I do, understanding what I do, isn't even close to sufficient; but maybe not in the way that you think I mean, either.

I am unreservedly admitting that my whole answer to this, and other problems in the Anglican Church of Canada (or worldwide), was a whole-hearted SHRUG... what does it matter? (If there ever was a time I identified with John Galt, holy shit, it's now!)

I believe now (and I believed it then, the truth be told; I didn't realize the implications) that there's an awfully big contradiction somewhere, and over time I began to see why I believed it so strongly; for starters, I didn't think it was appropriate, somehow, for fear and intimidation to be the motivating factor behind any action (especially, one would think, in a CHURCH) but yet the only recourse for either side of the issue was ... lobbying. $$$ means hearts, hearts mean votes. Fear doesn't appeal to your intellect. Or does it??

I find it morally reprehensible, telling people what they should believe- and don't think about it, because its for your own good, or else. But yet, that's the solution for the divided church, isn't it? Allow me to point out to you- read those words again and understand, I recognized that whatever it was that I found reprehensible about the other side, my own side was just as guilty of it.

But that is just the beginning.... isn't that the problem of the church, this last century or so?? Such is your fate when you have nagging doubt, and an inquisitive mind, condemned to find out where your faulty premises are. Dry humor, yes; true for me? YES. Am I happier now, knowing it? Hell Ya!

From time to time, I dare to hope and dream that I will be part of a generation which will be remembered as more than a footnote in the pages of history. The youngest of our generation, those (now) young adults who were young kids when Pearl Jam released "Ten".... they're the ones who tell you, when confronted with an obvious flashly, promise the moon advertisement, "That's just marketing!" (and, here's a funny co-inky-dink, I heard that claimed by Terry O'Reilly, and THEN it happened to me, this past week).

Damn right it is, kids!! Damned, if its not! They already know when they're being fleeced, or fattened!!

Critical thinkers, emerging as if by chance; "we" were named "Generation-X" for recognizing no future, having no vision, being nihilistic and so forth... and brother, if you were to ask me what THAT (roll your eyes, like you're 60) means, I'd say, you'd better start reading Stranger In A Strange Land.

No comments: